NCP chief Sharad Pawar files nomination for Rajya Sabha
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) chief and Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar, who has ruled himself out of electoral politics, has filed his nomination for the biennial Rajya Sabha election from Madha constituency on Friday.
The Election Commission has recently announced the election schedule for the Upper House of Parliament. There are seven seats of Rajya Sabha from Maharashtra whose term expires on April 2.
NCP has two retiring members YP Trivedi and Janardhan Waghmare.
NCP sources said the two members may be replaced by new faces, which includes Sharad Pawar himself.
Early this month, Pawar declared that he will not seek re-election to the Lok Sabha from Maadha constituency and instead would be in the Rajya Sabha as biennial elections are scheduled soon.
The notification for the polls were issued on January 21. Last date of filing of nomination is January 28. The scrutiny of papers will be done on January 29 and the last date of withdrawal of papers is January 31. The date of poll and counting is scheduled for February 7.
Congress has yet to decide on whether it would renominate sitting MPs Hussain Dalwai and Murli Deora. The other retiring members include BJP spokesman Prakash Javdekar and Shiv Sena`s Bharat Kumar Raut and Rajkumar Dhoot.
RPI`s Ramdas Athavale, who is an ally of the Sena-BJP, has claimed that he has been assured a Rajya Sabha seat from the saffron quota. Shiv Sena is yet to take a decision on the issue.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof