NCP criticises Shiv Sena over no-trust motion
Mumbai: NCP, an alliance partner in the Congress-led Democratic Front government of Maharashtra, on Thursday castigated opposition Shiv Sena for its move to bring a no-confidence motion against the ruling dispensation in the upcoming Winter Session of the state Assembly.
"This action smacks of political immaturity and hollow leadership," NCP spokesman Nawab Malik told reporters here.
In a bid to put the state government on the mat, the Shiv Sena has given a notice under rule 95 to move a no-trust motion in the session beginning December 10 in Nagpur, while its alliance partner BJP has organised a march against the government.
"The notice under rule 95 is given when there is an indication that the state government is in minority. This government has the support of 190 MLAs which is way ahead of the 144 figure in the house of 289," Malik pointed out.
Only when the Opposition is "low on confidence or over-confident," they bring a no-confidence motion against the government, the spokesman said.
"In this case, it looks like over confidence. They (Shiv Sena) could have given a notice for discussion under different rules and highlight issues. But, the government is ready for debate and we are confident that the no-confidence motion, if taken up, will be defeated. However, two days of the proceedings will go waste," he added.
Malik said that he will move a breach of privilege notice against BJP leader Kirit Somaiya for making "baseless" allegations of corruption in the Maharashtra Knowledge Corporation Limited (MKCL). The BJP leader yesterday sought a probe by SIT into the matter.
"By levelling false allegations against Assembly Speaker Dilip Walse Patil in the matter, Somaiya has not only breached the privilege of the Speaker but also of the entire Legislative Assembly," he said.
Expressing concern over the murder of a teenager who stood up against eve-teasing in neighbouring Dombivali, NCP demanded that the laws be amended to make eve-teasing a non-bailable offence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof