NCP demands stoppage of toll collection on two-lane highways
Mumbai: Even as the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) prepared to organise a road blockade agitation to protest against toll collection, the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) demanded here on Tuesday that toll collection be completely stopped on two-lane highways and bridges.
In a letter to Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, State NCP president Bhaskar Jadhav said that more and more two-lane highways and bridges are the need of the hour for better connectivity in rural areas.
"Levying toll at such places will burden the rural population and it should be completely stopped," Jadhav demanded, urging the people not to support Raj Thackeray`s road blockade agitation.
"Youth should refrain from falling into the MNS trap of violence and damage to public property. If the MNS has issues with toll contractors and owners about the number of VIP vehicles, party leaders should discuss with them and not hold the state to ransom," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez