NCP demands stoppage of toll collection on two-lane highways
Mumbai: Even as the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) prepared to organise a road blockade agitation to protest against toll collection, the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) demanded here on Tuesday that toll collection be completely stopped on two-lane highways and bridges.
In a letter to Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, State NCP president Bhaskar Jadhav said that more and more two-lane highways and bridges are the need of the hour for better connectivity in rural areas.
"Levying toll at such places will burden the rural population and it should be completely stopped," Jadhav demanded, urging the people not to support Raj Thackeray`s road blockade agitation.
"Youth should refrain from falling into the MNS trap of violence and damage to public property. If the MNS has issues with toll contractors and owners about the number of VIP vehicles, party leaders should discuss with them and not hold the state to ransom," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS