NCP demands stoppage of toll collection on two-lane highways
Mumbai: Even as the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) prepared to organise a road blockade agitation to protest against toll collection, the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) demanded here on Tuesday that toll collection be completely stopped on two-lane highways and bridges.
In a letter to Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, State NCP president Bhaskar Jadhav said that more and more two-lane highways and bridges are the need of the hour for better connectivity in rural areas.
"Levying toll at such places will burden the rural population and it should be completely stopped," Jadhav demanded, urging the people not to support Raj Thackeray`s road blockade agitation.
"Youth should refrain from falling into the MNS trap of violence and damage to public property. If the MNS has issues with toll contractors and owners about the number of VIP vehicles, party leaders should discuss with them and not hold the state to ransom," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Alert issued in Bihar following heavy rain in catchment areas of Nepal
- WWE SmackDown: July 26, 2016 - Results and highlights
- SHOCKING! Former PM Manmohan Singh's plane nearly crashed in 2007
- Narsingh Yadav doping row: Did brother of international wrestler spike his food in Sonipat?
- 1st Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka vs Australia - As it happened...