NCP demands stoppage of toll collection on two-lane highways
Mumbai: Even as the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) prepared to organise a road blockade agitation to protest against toll collection, the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) demanded here on Tuesday that toll collection be completely stopped on two-lane highways and bridges.
In a letter to Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, State NCP president Bhaskar Jadhav said that more and more two-lane highways and bridges are the need of the hour for better connectivity in rural areas.
"Levying toll at such places will burden the rural population and it should be completely stopped," Jadhav demanded, urging the people not to support Raj Thackeray`s road blockade agitation.
"Youth should refrain from falling into the MNS trap of violence and damage to public property. If the MNS has issues with toll contractors and owners about the number of VIP vehicles, party leaders should discuss with them and not hold the state to ransom," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees