NCP fields Anwar, Jain for Rajya Sabha polls
Mumbai: NCP on Saturday nominated Tariq Anwar for the Rajya Sabha polls scheduled on June 17 along with Ishwarlal Jain.
Party state president Madhukar Pichad announced the candidature of both Anwar and Jain.
The biennial elections will be held for six Rajya Sabha seats as terms of MPs including Sanjay Raut (Shiv Sena), Sharad Joshi supported by the Sena-BJP alliance, Vijay Darda
(Congress), Tariq Anwar (NCP) and Rahul Bajaj (supported by NCP) end on June 7.
Another Congress MP Shivraj Patil has become Punjab Governor.
Pichad also declared former minister Ramraje Naik Nimbalkar, Vinayak Mete and Prakash Binsale`s candidature for the June 10 polls for ten seats to the Maharashtra Legislative Council.
Refusing a proposal by ally Congress to contest two seats, NCP has decided to contest three out of the ten which will fall vacant on July 7.
The number of retiring MLCs belonging to the NCP are two.
Nimbalkar held the Water Resources (Krishna Valley)
Ministry in the present cabinet. However, he could not be
elected to either of the Houses for six months and had to
Mete, an ex-MLC was in news for his Maratha reservation
campaign and Binsale is a party spokesperson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list