‘NCP minister held in housing scam should quit’
Mumbai: Maharashtra Minister and senior NCP leader Gulabrao Deokar, arrested for alleged involvement in a 1997 housing scam related to building 11,000 low-cost houses in Jalgaon, should resign from the state cabinet, BJP leader Gopinath Munde said on Monday.
"Why has Deokar`s resignation, forwarded to the party, not been accepted?" Munde wondered. "The NCP always backs the corrupt," he alleged.
The chief minister is unable to take a decision on the matter due to pressure from ally NCP, the BJP leader said.
Deokar, who was a member of Jalgaon Municipal Council between 1995 and 2000, was yesterday summoned to the Zilla Peth police station at Jalgaon and arrested. He later secured bail.
Additional SP Ishu Sindhu, who is probing the Rs 46 crore scam, had earlier summoned 46 former corporators including Deokar. However, only 25 turned up on May 19 and were arrested. As Deokar did not turn up, a fresh notice was served and he was asked to present himself before police.
Of the 25 former corporators arrested, 15 were granted bail, while the rest were remanded in police custody. So far, 38 persons, including former Housing Minister and Shiv Sena MLA Sureshdada Jain, have been arrested in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what