‘NCP minister held in housing scam should quit’
Mumbai: Maharashtra Minister and senior NCP leader Gulabrao Deokar, arrested for alleged involvement in a 1997 housing scam related to building 11,000 low-cost houses in Jalgaon, should resign from the state cabinet, BJP leader Gopinath Munde said on Monday.
"Why has Deokar`s resignation, forwarded to the party, not been accepted?" Munde wondered. "The NCP always backs the corrupt," he alleged.
The chief minister is unable to take a decision on the matter due to pressure from ally NCP, the BJP leader said.
Deokar, who was a member of Jalgaon Municipal Council between 1995 and 2000, was yesterday summoned to the Zilla Peth police station at Jalgaon and arrested. He later secured bail.
Additional SP Ishu Sindhu, who is probing the Rs 46 crore scam, had earlier summoned 46 former corporators including Deokar. However, only 25 turned up on May 19 and were arrested. As Deokar did not turn up, a fresh notice was served and he was asked to present himself before police.
Of the 25 former corporators arrested, 15 were granted bail, while the rest were remanded in police custody. So far, 38 persons, including former Housing Minister and Shiv Sena MLA Sureshdada Jain, have been arrested in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali