NCP MLA Jitendra Awhad, others booked in a rioting case
Thane: A case was today registered against NCP MLA Jitendra Awhad for rioting as a mob of villagers from Kalwa-Kharigaon in the district, allegedly led by him, ransacked the office of a builder over a dispute, police said on Friday.
Awhad, the Kalwa-Mumbra MLA, who is also the state working president of NCP, led the mob of villagers, who had had a dispute over a land with the builder, police said.
"An offence of rioting has been registered against the MLA and others and ten rioters have been arrested," PSI S B Kothmire of Kalwa police station said.
"There was an old dispute between the villagers and the person who owned the land. The original owner of land had sold it to a developer from Mumbai, who is coming up with the housing project on the land it was stated," he said.
The rioters have been booked under various sections of the Indian Penal Code, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you