NCP MLA Jitendra Awhad, others booked in a rioting case
Thane: A case was today registered against NCP MLA Jitendra Awhad for rioting as a mob of villagers from Kalwa-Kharigaon in the district, allegedly led by him, ransacked the office of a builder over a dispute, police said on Friday.
Awhad, the Kalwa-Mumbra MLA, who is also the state working president of NCP, led the mob of villagers, who had had a dispute over a land with the builder, police said.
"An offence of rioting has been registered against the MLA and others and ten rioters have been arrested," PSI S B Kothmire of Kalwa police station said.
"There was an old dispute between the villagers and the person who owned the land. The original owner of land had sold it to a developer from Mumbai, who is coming up with the housing project on the land it was stated," he said.
The rioters have been booked under various sections of the Indian Penal Code, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert