NCP MLA Jitendra Awhad, others booked in a rioting case
Thane: A case was today registered against NCP MLA Jitendra Awhad for rioting as a mob of villagers from Kalwa-Kharigaon in the district, allegedly led by him, ransacked the office of a builder over a dispute, police said on Friday.
Awhad, the Kalwa-Mumbra MLA, who is also the state working president of NCP, led the mob of villagers, who had had a dispute over a land with the builder, police said.
"An offence of rioting has been registered against the MLA and others and ten rioters have been arrested," PSI S B Kothmire of Kalwa police station said.
"There was an old dispute between the villagers and the person who owned the land. The original owner of land had sold it to a developer from Mumbai, who is coming up with the housing project on the land it was stated," he said.
The rioters have been booked under various sections of the Indian Penal Code, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- US President Barack Obama pays tribute to slain British MP Jo Cox
- Major blow for Samajwadi Party as its general secretary joins BJP with 200 colleagues
- Truck set on fire by angry villagers after they saw blood spilling out of it, found 30 cows dead
- Want to book DDA community halls? Now, you can do it in 15 minutes - Know how
- Five dead, 20 injured as truck collides with tanker in UP's Lucknow - Know what happened