NCP MLCs object to reading out of HC order on irrigation scam
Mumbai: Proceedings in the Maharashtra Legislative Council were adjourned thrice on Wednesday as NCP members objected to Leader of Opposition Vinod Tawde (BJP) reading out Bombay High Court`s interim order on the irrigation scam in the state during a debate.
Opposition BJP, Shiv Sena and Peasants and Workers Party had proposed the debate; however, when Tawde read out the court`s order, saying it was in the public domain, the NCP legislators said the matter was sub-judice and he should not read it.
They asked the Chairman to direct the BJP leader not to read it. But Tawde held his ground, saying that he had spoken to the court registrar on the issue and the order is available on the court`s website.
"The nature of allegations of irregularities and misappropriation raise in this PIL and the issues sought to be raised by the Leader of the Opposition, we are of the view that it would also be open to the Governor of Maharashtra to consider whether the Governor would like to appoint two or three members in the said Special Enquiry Committee constituted by the government of Maharashtra...," Tawde quoted from the court order.
Finally, Chairman Shivajirao Deshmukh said he would speak to the experts and take a decision in this regard tomorrow.
"NCP is trying to stall the discussion on corruption," Tawde said outside later.
It is alleged that huge sums of money were spent on irrigation projects in the state in the last decade, without much to show for. Irrigation portfolio has been with NCP during this period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!