NCP, MNS workers pelt stones at each others
Pune: Activists of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) on Tuesday pelted stones at the convoy of Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray and also waved black flags, shortly after he addressed a public meeting in Ahmednagar district.
Later, workers of both the parties clashed with each other leaving at least five injured. Police said an inspector was also hurt in the incident. Meanwhile, Thackeray escaped unhurt.
Police had to resort to lathicharge to control the situation.
The incident took place at around 8.30 pm at Bhingar in the western Maharashtra district, about 125 km from Pune.
Around 50 NCP workers had gathered at Bhingar, where Raj was visiting for party-related work, to protest against his criticism of senior party leader and Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar.
The MNS chief has been critical of NCP leaders at his recent public rallies. He has especially targeted Ajit Pawar, holding him responsible for the severe drought in the state.
According to Raj, Water Resources Department, which Ajit Pawar headed between 1999 and 2009, had failed to take steps to prevent water scarcity despite spending huge amount of sums on irrigation projects.
There were also reports of clashes in other parts of the state but the same could not be confirmed. An NCP office was also reportedly vandalised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days