NCP MP demands withdrawal of ban on onion exports
Mumbai: NCP MP Sameer Bhujbal has demanded
withdrawal of the "unwarranted" ban on onion exports saying it
would have an adverse effect on bulb growers in Nashik
"The ban on onion exports is deplorable and unwarranted.
It will have an adverse effect on onion growers in Nashik
district," the Nashik MP wrote in letters to Union Finance
Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Agriculture Minister Sharad
Maharashtra is responsible for 60-70 per cent of the
country`s total onion produce and Nashik alone contributes 60
per cent of the state`s produce, he said.
Lasalgaon Agriculture Produce Market in Nashik district
is the largest onion market in Asia, Bhujbal said.
"Production of onion was over 49 lakh metric tonnes in
around 4.15 lakh hectares cultivable area in Maharashtra
during 2010-11. The current year`s estimated production is
58.23 lakh metric tonne on 3.87 lakh hectares. Out of this,
14-15 lakh metric tonnes of rabbi onions produced is stored by
the farmers and trading community in the state, especially in
Nashik district," he said.
Bhujbal, nephew of state PWD minister Chhagan Bhujbal,
said procurement prices for the bulb have gone up to Rs 900 to
Rs 1,100 per quintal which is almost at par with last year`s
market rate. Immediately after the decision of ban on export
of onion, procurement rates have come down to Rs 500 per
quintal, he added.
The MP said in some northern states, including Delhi,
onion prices have been increased by retailers, which is not
linked with the wholesale price.
"But that does not necessarily require such drastic
blanket ban on export of onion," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test
- Donald Trump threatens to leave WTO
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event