NCP not in favour of change in caste-based reservation policy
New Delhi: Senior NCP leader Praful Patel on Thursday said his party was not in favour of changing the caste-based reservation policy.
"Our stand is clear. The current system of reservation is fine. There is no need to change it. SC/ST/OBCs etc have benefited due to reservation and we should continue it," Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises Minister Praful Patel said at a CII-ACMA event here.
The government and Congress President Sonia Gandhi yesterday clarified that there was no move to change the policy on reservation in government jobs.
The clarifications came a day after senior Congress leader Janardan Dwivedi advocated a relook into caste-based reservations, leading to an outcry in the Rajya Sabha.
Dwivedi had in an interview to PTI called an end to reservation on caste lines and asked party vice-president Rahul Gandhi to introduce quota for financially weaker sections, bringing all communities under its ambit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest