NCP-Sena face-off in Legislative Council by-polls
Mumbai: It will be a face-off between the
Shiv Sena and the NCP during the Legislative Council
by-elections for two seats slated for February 21 and 28.
The by-election was necessitated due to the resignation
of former Sena MLC Kiran Pawaskar, who joined the NCP, while
the Nashik local bodies seat fell vacant due to the death of
sitting MLC Vasant Pawar of the NCP.
NCP has nominated Pawaskar for the Legislative Council
seat to be filled in from the MLA quota. Shiv Sena has fielded
Rahul Narvekar for the February 21 by-poll.
In Nashik, NCP`s Jayant Jadhav will face Sena`s Nivrutti
Jadhav on February 28.
Today was the last date of withdrawal of nomination
NCP has said both its candidates have the support of the
Congress, its coalition partner in the government.
In the House of 288 MLAs, Congress has 82 and NCP 62,
while the Sena has 45 and its coalition partner BJP 46.
For the MLA quota, the winning candidate will require 145
votes to win.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof