NCP-Sena face-off in Legislative Council by-polls
Mumbai: It will be a face-off between the
Shiv Sena and the NCP during the Legislative Council
by-elections for two seats slated for February 21 and 28.
The by-election was necessitated due to the resignation
of former Sena MLC Kiran Pawaskar, who joined the NCP, while
the Nashik local bodies seat fell vacant due to the death of
sitting MLC Vasant Pawar of the NCP.
NCP has nominated Pawaskar for the Legislative Council
seat to be filled in from the MLA quota. Shiv Sena has fielded
Rahul Narvekar for the February 21 by-poll.
In Nashik, NCP`s Jayant Jadhav will face Sena`s Nivrutti
Jadhav on February 28.
Today was the last date of withdrawal of nomination
NCP has said both its candidates have the support of the
Congress, its coalition partner in the government.
In the House of 288 MLAs, Congress has 82 and NCP 62,
while the Sena has 45 and its coalition partner BJP 46.
For the MLA quota, the winning candidate will require 145
votes to win.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- 1st Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka vs Australia - As it happened...
- ALARMING: Terrorist captured alive by security forces in Kashmir is a Pakistani from Lahore
- Sensex stages strong comeback, climbs 144 points in early trade
- US reaffirms cooperation with India in fight against terrorism
- Watch: Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra’s desi swag will make you go crazy!