NCP targets CM on expensive MHADA flats, delayed Mumbai Metro
Mumbai: Targeting Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, NCP on Thursday asked him to direct the state housing body MHADA to lower prices of flats in this year`s lottery, and demanded a clear statement on when the under-construction Mono-rail and Metro rail in Mumbai would start operating.
Speaking to reporters here, Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar said the rich can purchase flats at any cost, but government housing schemes were for the poor. "MHADA should ensure that there are affordable houses for the poor and the middle classes," he said.
MHADA flats were now out of bounds for the common man and as the Housing department was with the Chief Minister, he should look into the matter urgently, Ajit said.
NCP spokesperson Nawab Malik echoed Ajit in his weekly media briefing later. Malik alleged that MHADA was competing with private builders, which had made buying flats in Mumbai impossible for the common man. The Chief Minister should direct MHADA to lower the rates, he said.
In a dig at the Chief Minister, Malik also said that instead of flagging off safety trial runs of Metro Rail, Chavan should take the MMRDA bureaucrats to task for delaying various projects in Mumbai.
Chavan is the chairman of MMRDA, a planning body, in his capacity as Urban Development Minister.
Projects such as Santacruz-Chembur link road, some works at Jogeshwari Vikhroli Link Road, eastern freeway, MUTP-1 have not been completed for over a decade, he pointed out.
Metro phase one construction started eight years ago but still trial runs were on, Malik said, adding that instead of "just showing trailers", Chief Minister should tell people of Mumbai when Metro will be available.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO