NCP wants Eastern Freeway named after Babasaheb Ambedkar
Mumbai: NCP, a coalition partner in the Congress-led Democratic Front government of Maharashtra, today demanded that the ambitious Eastern Freeway be named after Dalit icon B R Ambedkar.
NCP spokesperson Nawab Malik has appealed to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan to consider the demand.
"Majority of the project-affected people in Anushakti Nagar belonged to the backward class. They did not object to the development work and surrendered their homes for the project. To respect their sentiments, the freeway should be named after Ambedkar," Malik, who represents the Anushakti Nagar Assembly constituency, said in a statement.
The 4-lane 16.8 km-long Eastern Freeway connects Fort in South Mumbai to the Eastern Express Highway (EEH) at Ghatkopar.
Once operational, the Eastern Freeway will ease the traffic woes of commuters to a great extent as it will de-congest the traffic burden on P D`Mello Road and Port Road.
This signal-free, fast corridor to be thrown open to the people soon, is expected to improve connectivity between the Island city and eastern suburbs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Outstanding! Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is unstoppable at the Box Office – Read more
- New Hyundai Elantra to be launched in India today
- Amit Shah to inaugurate workshop of BJP state core committees
- Samsung likely to launch Tizen powered Z2 smartphone in India today
- Baloch leaders booked: JKNPP calls on Centre to slap sedition charges against separatists