NCP wants Eastern Freeway named after Babasaheb Ambedkar
Mumbai: NCP, a coalition partner in the Congress-led Democratic Front government of Maharashtra, today demanded that the ambitious Eastern Freeway be named after Dalit icon B R Ambedkar.
NCP spokesperson Nawab Malik has appealed to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan to consider the demand.
"Majority of the project-affected people in Anushakti Nagar belonged to the backward class. They did not object to the development work and surrendered their homes for the project. To respect their sentiments, the freeway should be named after Ambedkar," Malik, who represents the Anushakti Nagar Assembly constituency, said in a statement.
The 4-lane 16.8 km-long Eastern Freeway connects Fort in South Mumbai to the Eastern Express Highway (EEH) at Ghatkopar.
Once operational, the Eastern Freeway will ease the traffic woes of commuters to a great extent as it will de-congest the traffic burden on P D`Mello Road and Port Road.
This signal-free, fast corridor to be thrown open to the people soon, is expected to improve connectivity between the Island city and eastern suburbs.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'