NCP wants Eastern Freeway named after Babasaheb Ambedkar
Mumbai: NCP, a coalition partner in the Congress-led Democratic Front government of Maharashtra, today demanded that the ambitious Eastern Freeway be named after Dalit icon B R Ambedkar.
NCP spokesperson Nawab Malik has appealed to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan to consider the demand.
"Majority of the project-affected people in Anushakti Nagar belonged to the backward class. They did not object to the development work and surrendered their homes for the project. To respect their sentiments, the freeway should be named after Ambedkar," Malik, who represents the Anushakti Nagar Assembly constituency, said in a statement.
The 4-lane 16.8 km-long Eastern Freeway connects Fort in South Mumbai to the Eastern Express Highway (EEH) at Ghatkopar.
Once operational, the Eastern Freeway will ease the traffic woes of commuters to a great extent as it will de-congest the traffic burden on P D`Mello Road and Port Road.
This signal-free, fast corridor to be thrown open to the people soon, is expected to improve connectivity between the Island city and eastern suburbs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Hungarian Grand Prix: Record fifth win sends Lewis Hamilton top
- Olympian predicts record medal haul from Indian shooters at 2016 Rio Games
- Watch video: NASA's SDO captures solar material bursting from the sun!
- Salaries to go up 10.7%, star performers to gain handsomely: Study
- Nico Hulkenberg brings one point for Force India from Hungry