NCP wants Eastern Freeway named after Babasaheb Ambedkar
Mumbai: NCP, a coalition partner in the Congress-led Democratic Front government of Maharashtra, today demanded that the ambitious Eastern Freeway be named after Dalit icon B R Ambedkar.
NCP spokesperson Nawab Malik has appealed to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan to consider the demand.
"Majority of the project-affected people in Anushakti Nagar belonged to the backward class. They did not object to the development work and surrendered their homes for the project. To respect their sentiments, the freeway should be named after Ambedkar," Malik, who represents the Anushakti Nagar Assembly constituency, said in a statement.
The 4-lane 16.8 km-long Eastern Freeway connects Fort in South Mumbai to the Eastern Express Highway (EEH) at Ghatkopar.
Once operational, the Eastern Freeway will ease the traffic woes of commuters to a great extent as it will de-congest the traffic burden on P D`Mello Road and Port Road.
This signal-free, fast corridor to be thrown open to the people soon, is expected to improve connectivity between the Island city and eastern suburbs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'