NCP wants like-minded parties to unite to combat `Mahayuti`
Mumbai: The NCP Thursday said it was in favour of consolidating secular, like-minded votes for the upcoming assembly elections in Maharashtra and a decision in this regard will be taken after the seat sharing arrangement with Congress is finalised after August 20.
Talking to reporters, state NCP chief Sunil Tatkare said his party wanted all like-minded parties to join hands against the Sena-BJP`s `Mahayuti`.
He said the Congress-NCP would consider proposals of Samajwadi Party and JD(S) for an alliance to take on the Sena-BJP after August 20.
To a question on NCP leader Ram Pandagale quitting the party to join Shiv Sena, and former state unit chief Babanrao Pachpute`s criticism of the state leadership, Tatkare said Pandagale was a "habitual offender".
"Opportunistic people do chart out their different path wherever they see opportunities. Pachpute may be on his way out. His remarks against Ajit Pawar are unfortunate," Tatkare said.
He was responding to questions about Pachpute`s interview on a Marathi news channel where he criticised the functioning of Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar and also targeted senior leader Madhukar Pichad.
He also said Congress had withdrawn its candidate from the fray for the Legislative Council by-election without any precondition.
Meanwhile, state party spokesman Nawab Malik said the party has asked its leaders who organise `Dahi Handi` celebrations to ensure that safety of the participants of the human pyramids known as `Govindas`.
"There should be no injuries or accidental deaths," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'