NCP wants like-minded parties to unite to combat `Mahayuti`
Mumbai: The NCP Thursday said it was in favour of consolidating secular, like-minded votes for the upcoming assembly elections in Maharashtra and a decision in this regard will be taken after the seat sharing arrangement with Congress is finalised after August 20.
Talking to reporters, state NCP chief Sunil Tatkare said his party wanted all like-minded parties to join hands against the Sena-BJP`s `Mahayuti`.
He said the Congress-NCP would consider proposals of Samajwadi Party and JD(S) for an alliance to take on the Sena-BJP after August 20.
To a question on NCP leader Ram Pandagale quitting the party to join Shiv Sena, and former state unit chief Babanrao Pachpute`s criticism of the state leadership, Tatkare said Pandagale was a "habitual offender".
"Opportunistic people do chart out their different path wherever they see opportunities. Pachpute may be on his way out. His remarks against Ajit Pawar are unfortunate," Tatkare said.
He was responding to questions about Pachpute`s interview on a Marathi news channel where he criticised the functioning of Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar and also targeted senior leader Madhukar Pichad.
He also said Congress had withdrawn its candidate from the fray for the Legislative Council by-election without any precondition.
Meanwhile, state party spokesman Nawab Malik said the party has asked its leaders who organise `Dahi Handi` celebrations to ensure that safety of the participants of the human pyramids known as `Govindas`.
"There should be no injuries or accidental deaths," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video