NCP wants Mumbai`s 5-star hotels to show Marathi news channels
Mumbai: The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) has demanded that five-star hotels in Mumbai should compulsorily show Marathi news channels.
State NCP working president Jitendra Awhad has written to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar about the "secondary treatment" by these hotels to Marathi.
"Be it Mumbai, Pune, Aurangabad or Nashik. The five star hotels there should show Marathi TV programmes. After all, Marathi is the state language."
"You show news bulletins of all languages in these hotels...Italian, French, Spanish. Then why this allergy to Marathi," Awhad told reporters here today.
These hotels cannot ignore the state language, Awhad said.
"Why should one presume that those living in five-star hotels won`t like to watch Marathi news channels or programmes?" he asked.
Earlier this month, speaking at the inauguration of the new RTO building in Andheri here, Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar had asked the transport department to ensure that the maximum number of permits for autorickshaws and taxis are issued to those from Maharashtra.
"Those from Mumbai, Thane and particularly, the sons of mill workers should be given priority while issuing the permits. This has to be done to prevent people from raising emotional issues," the senior NCP leader had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...