Need to curb eve teasing, protect women`s dignity: HC
Mumbai: Incidents of eve teasing should be dealt with strictly as the issue involves women`s dignity, the Bombay High Court has observed.
The comments came from a bench headed by Justices VM Kanade and PD Kode while hearing a suo motu PIL.
On September 17, the same bench had while confirming death sentence on two persons for raping and killing a BPO employee in Pune, had recommended to the Chief Justice framing of norms for safety of women, particularly those who work in the night shifts.
On November 8, Chief Justice Mohit Shah converted the request of the judges for framing norms for women`s safety into a PIL and assigned the matter for hearing to the same bench.
When the matter came up for hearing yesterday before the judges, they said that women`s security has become an issue of concern in the society.
"These days there have been instances when people are assaulted and murdered just because they have protected or rescued women. Hence, the issue needs to be tackled," observed Justice Kanade.
The judges were referring to the murder of a 19-year-old boy in suburban Dombivali, who was allegedly stabbed to death by hooligans over an issue concerning a girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest