Need to curb eve teasing, protect women`s dignity: HC
Mumbai: Incidents of eve teasing should be dealt with strictly as the issue involves women`s dignity, the Bombay High Court has observed.
The comments came from a bench headed by Justices VM Kanade and PD Kode while hearing a suo motu PIL.
On September 17, the same bench had while confirming death sentence on two persons for raping and killing a BPO employee in Pune, had recommended to the Chief Justice framing of norms for safety of women, particularly those who work in the night shifts.
On November 8, Chief Justice Mohit Shah converted the request of the judges for framing norms for women`s safety into a PIL and assigned the matter for hearing to the same bench.
When the matter came up for hearing yesterday before the judges, they said that women`s security has become an issue of concern in the society.
"These days there have been instances when people are assaulted and murdered just because they have protected or rescued women. Hence, the issue needs to be tackled," observed Justice Kanade.
The judges were referring to the murder of a 19-year-old boy in suburban Dombivali, who was allegedly stabbed to death by hooligans over an issue concerning a girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer