Negligent, rash driving: Police to quiz Nooriya`s friends
Mumbai: With Nooriya Haveliwala testing
positive for drug consumption, her friends received from the
forensic lab yesterday with whom she spent
the day drinking and the pub she visited before the accident
have come under scanner.
The 27-year-old beautician, on January 30 was driving
towards her home in Colaba area under the influence of alcohol
when she lost control over her Honda CRV and hit a bike and a
police jeep, killing two including a policeman.
Currently in judicial custody, Nooriya has been booked
for culpable homicide not amounting to murder and rash and
negligent driving and would now also be booked under the NDPS
Act for drug consumption, police said.
A report received from the forensic lab yesterday
confirmed that she had consumed drugs and police now want to
ascertain from where Nooriya procured the contraband and would
soon question her four friends and the pub management in this
"On 29 February, whole day she had drunk and then along
with her friends had gone to pub Ghetto in Breach Candy area.
The next day at around 1.30 am, she killed two persons by
ramming her car into a bike and police jeep," a police
"Her friends may throw some light as far as drug
consumption is concerned. They might be knowing from where she
would have procured drugs. We would summon them to police
station," the officer added.
"We are probing if the drugs were procured inside or
near the pub," the officer said.
Police would also seek police custody of Nooriya, who is
currently in judicial custody till Feb 18, to probe drug
angle to the case.
Nooriya had tested positive for consumption of narcotic
substances like morphine and cannabis.
A day before the accident (On 29 February), the police
said, the accused had left home at Colaba area in the
afternoon, went to her friend Varun Tholani, with whom she had
consumed three cans of beer.
Subsequently, the duo went to Radio club in south Mumbai
where she again drunk three more cans of beer, they said.
From there, Varun and Nooriya, joined other friends
Sabia Patel, Arun D`souza and Amar Mashruwala, and went to pub
Ghetto where she again consumed three cans of beer. As she
left from the pub, she purchased four more beer cans from
Sheetal wine shop, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked