Negligent, rash driving: Police to quiz Nooriya`s friends
Mumbai: With Nooriya Haveliwala testing
positive for drug consumption, her friends received from the
forensic lab yesterday with whom she spent
the day drinking and the pub she visited before the accident
have come under scanner.
The 27-year-old beautician, on January 30 was driving
towards her home in Colaba area under the influence of alcohol
when she lost control over her Honda CRV and hit a bike and a
police jeep, killing two including a policeman.
Currently in judicial custody, Nooriya has been booked
for culpable homicide not amounting to murder and rash and
negligent driving and would now also be booked under the NDPS
Act for drug consumption, police said.
A report received from the forensic lab yesterday
confirmed that she had consumed drugs and police now want to
ascertain from where Nooriya procured the contraband and would
soon question her four friends and the pub management in this
"On 29 February, whole day she had drunk and then along
with her friends had gone to pub Ghetto in Breach Candy area.
The next day at around 1.30 am, she killed two persons by
ramming her car into a bike and police jeep," a police
"Her friends may throw some light as far as drug
consumption is concerned. They might be knowing from where she
would have procured drugs. We would summon them to police
station," the officer added.
"We are probing if the drugs were procured inside or
near the pub," the officer said.
Police would also seek police custody of Nooriya, who is
currently in judicial custody till Feb 18, to probe drug
angle to the case.
Nooriya had tested positive for consumption of narcotic
substances like morphine and cannabis.
A day before the accident (On 29 February), the police
said, the accused had left home at Colaba area in the
afternoon, went to her friend Varun Tholani, with whom she had
consumed three cans of beer.
Subsequently, the duo went to Radio club in south Mumbai
where she again drunk three more cans of beer, they said.
From there, Varun and Nooriya, joined other friends
Sabia Patel, Arun D`souza and Amar Mashruwala, and went to pub
Ghetto where she again consumed three cans of beer. As she
left from the pub, she purchased four more beer cans from
Sheetal wine shop, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror