Nephews get tickled when they see uncle`s success:
Mumbai: Explaining what makes nephews turn against their uncles, Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray launched a veiled attack on estranged nephew Raj, saying nephews get `tickled` when they see their uncles being hailed.
"Leadership goes into their heads. When they see their uncles being hailed by the masses, they get `gudgulya` (tickled)," Thackeray said, in reply to a query on the rise of nephews in Maharashtra`s political families - for instance, Raj Thackeray, Ajit Pawar (Sharad Pawar`s nephew) and GopinathMunde`s estranged nephew Dhananjay.
"He (Raj) is the one who broke away from us. He was moulded in Matoshri (the Sena chief`s bungalow in suburban Bandra)," Thackeray said, in an interview to a Marathi news channel.
When asked if he thought Raj would return, Thackeray said, "Wanting (for Raj to return) is one thing. But after all, it is the Thackeray blood (in him)."
Thackeray pointed out that it was Raj who once said that if ever politics impedes his relations with cousin Uddhav, he would leave politics.
"I don`t have to look towards MNS. I have my Shiv Sena," he replied to another query on what he thought of the party founded by Raj six years ago. "Leadership has become a cheap commodity now. Anyone can become a leader," he said.
In another interview recently, Thackeray had said nephews (in Maharashtra politics) have no great talent. "But they remain close to the centre of power --the uncle—and take a ring-side view of politics and people. They get intoxicated by the delirious crowd which follows the leader, the celebratory mood at public meetings and so forth," Thackeray had said.
In the latest interview, aired 9 days ahead of the February 16 elections to Mumbai`s civic body, which his party controls, Thackeray said it was not justifiable to blame the Sena for all ills afflicting India`s financial capital.
"Why blame Shiv Sena for everything? Did the Sena dig potholes in the city," Thackeray said. "How will the civic infrastructure cope with the burgeoning population in the city," he said.
"What can we do if a pipeline bursts," the Sena chief said. "All the problems we face are due to people who have come from outside," he said, sounding like his nephew, whose views against north Indian migrants are well known.
On politics in general, Thackeray said there were no towering personalities like Sardar Patel left today. "Now, there are only Lilliputs, no leader of political stature," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?