New Sahaydri trek to boost eco-tourism
Mumbai: With an aim to boost eco tourism in the state, Maharashtra Government is launching the Trans Sahayadri trek from this month.
The trek routes have been identified to trek across Sahayadris from Kolhapur to Bhimashankar.
The objective is to provide income from eco tourism to local villages where there is a proposal to develop homestay.
The locals will be eyes and ears of the forest so that trek routes are kept free of litter and watch is kept on poaching and forest fires, Principal Secretary (Forest) Praveen Pardeshi said.
Next week, short treks have been planned from Chandoli- Prachitgad and then camp in one of the home stay villages.
Trek to Prachitgad will start on December 8 morning from Karad, Debhewadi.
Earlier on December 6, a smaller trek will be initiated from Bhimashankar to Veloli, a village where homestay has been developed.
Pardeshi said the trek route has been organised and planned by Mohan Karnad, Chief Wildlife Warden of Sahayadri Tiger Reserve with the state government in support of Wildlife Conservation trust (WCT) across length of Sahayadri starting at Radhanagari Sanctuary or from Tillari, Kolhapur along the crest of Sahayadri all the way to Bhimashankar.
It may continue further up to Kalsubai, Harishchandra gad.
The trek can be for 10 days, but each day should result in a night halt in a village located along route. Forest department and the local Zilla Parishad will work with designated night halt villages to create home stay facilities.
In each village, with upgraded homes of villagers, with biodegradable latrines, and complete recycling of plastic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened