New Sahaydri trek to boost eco-tourism
Mumbai: With an aim to boost eco tourism in the state, Maharashtra Government is launching the Trans Sahayadri trek from this month.
The trek routes have been identified to trek across Sahayadris from Kolhapur to Bhimashankar.
The objective is to provide income from eco tourism to local villages where there is a proposal to develop homestay.
The locals will be eyes and ears of the forest so that trek routes are kept free of litter and watch is kept on poaching and forest fires, Principal Secretary (Forest) Praveen Pardeshi said.
Next week, short treks have been planned from Chandoli- Prachitgad and then camp in one of the home stay villages.
Trek to Prachitgad will start on December 8 morning from Karad, Debhewadi.
Earlier on December 6, a smaller trek will be initiated from Bhimashankar to Veloli, a village where homestay has been developed.
Pardeshi said the trek route has been organised and planned by Mohan Karnad, Chief Wildlife Warden of Sahayadri Tiger Reserve with the state government in support of Wildlife Conservation trust (WCT) across length of Sahayadri starting at Radhanagari Sanctuary or from Tillari, Kolhapur along the crest of Sahayadri all the way to Bhimashankar.
It may continue further up to Kalsubai, Harishchandra gad.
The trek can be for 10 days, but each day should result in a night halt in a village located along route. Forest department and the local Zilla Parishad will work with designated night halt villages to create home stay facilities.
In each village, with upgraded homes of villagers, with biodegradable latrines, and complete recycling of plastic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead