NGO comes forward to adopt Thane rape victim
Thane: A Thane-based social organisation has offered to adopt the teenaged girl from Dombivili town here who was allegedly sexually abused by her father and brother for the last two years.
Social organisation `Parivartan` wants to adopt and take care of the girl`s future, who faced torture at the hands of her own father and brother, who allegedly raped her for the last two years, organisation`s members Jyoti Patkar and Madhavi Naik said Monday.
The 19-year-old girl was last month found crying at Dombivili station in Thane district by her friends.
She told them that her father had repeatedly raped her for the last two years and since the last two months her brother was also sexually abusing her, but she could not muster courage to complain against them.
Her mother was already living separately after divorcing her father.
However, encouraged by her friends, the girl lodged a complaint with police following which her father and brother were arrested on December 29 last year.
The girl was later admitted to Thane civil hospital where Madhavi Naik visited the girl.
"There are many teenagers who ache for care but in this case, this girl is orphaned even when she has her family members to take care of her which is very unfortunate. It is the responsibility of the society to care of such children," she said.
"First of all our duty was to encourage the girl and make her speak out. Now she is lodged at the Bhiwandi remand home for care. We have offered to the police to take care of the girl in future, and if all is well she should be handed over to us," Naik said.
Naik also said that apart from rehabilitating the girl, they would also ensure that the accused get severely punished for the crime.
`Parivartan` has its unit at Titwala township in Thane and has a budgetary provision to take care of around 30 girls. The girls are imparted training in various activities, besides education, by the organisation, she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway