NGO renames Marathi literary award in memory of Bal Thackeray
Mumbai: Priyadarshni Academy, a prominent non-governmental organisation (NGO), has decided to confer its Marathi literary awards in the memory of late Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray.
The award, given away every year to a prominent personality in the field of Marathi literature, carries a cash prize of Rs 25,000 and trophy, academy chairman Nanik Rupani said in a statement here on Sunday.
The Marathi literary award is being renamed as `Balasaheb Thackeray Marathi Literary Award` in the memory of the departed Shiv Sena chief, who had contributed a lot to the spread of Marathi language and culture, Rupani said.
The Priyadarshni Academy also presents literary awards in other languages also, such as Sindhi and Hindi.
The literary awards were instituted by the Academy in 1984.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi