NHRC seeks reports on kids `going missing` from Navi Mumbai
New Delhi: National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Thursday sought reports from the Maharashtra government and police over large number of children allegedly going missing from Navi Mumbai.
According to a statement issued by NHRC, reports were sought from the Chief Secretary, Director General of Police and Commissioner of Police, Navi Mumbai. They have been given four weeks` time to respond.
The notices were issued after the rights panel took suo motu cognisance of a media report that 600 kids go missing in Navi Mumbai every year and the Navi Mumbai Police never takes the issue seriously, as it generally does not register FIRs in respect of the missing children.
The Commission also directed the Chief Secretary and the DGP to inform what steps have been taken by them for implementing the "Guidelines on Missing Children" circulated by it vide its letter dated August 6, 2007 to tackle the problem of missing children in Maharashtra.
"Reportedly, approximately 50 children go missing from Navi Mumbai every month. A majority of them are lost without a trace.
"It is also reported that hundreds of children are found begging near bus stands, railway stations, temples, markets and other public places and the police had not registered a single case under the provisions of Beggary Prevention Act in the last 10 years," the statement said.
NHRC has observed that the contents of the media report, if true, raise a serious issue of violation of human rights of mentally challenged persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?