NHRC`s open hearing begins in Nagpur
Nagpur: The three-day open hearing by National Human Rights Commission in 571 cases relating to alleged atrocities against the scheduled castes in Maharashtra began here on Monday.
Inaugurating the hearing, Justice KG Balakrishnan, Chairperson, NHRC, said that despite so many social legislations and welfare schemes, the scheduled castes continued to face problems.
The Commission through its open hearings is trying to reach out to people in different parts of the country and hear their complaints about violations of their rights by public authorities and to solve the problems with cooperation from state governments.
He said that the Commission has no adversarial role to the functioning of state governments and it would help them in good governance.
He said that four open hearings in Odisha, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu and Rajasthan earlier have been very successful.
The commission has been receiving one lakh complaints every year and their disposal was a huge task given the limited manpower at its command, he said.
Maharashtra`s Secretary for Social Welfare R D Shinde assured that all the directives of the Commission would be implemented by the State government.
AK Garg, Registrar( Law), NHRC said that the Commission received about 1400 complaints from Maharashtra, out which only 571 could be taken up for open hearing as many of the complaints were time barred.
The Commission did not have the mandate to take cognisance of issues which were old beyond one year.
Out of the 571 complaints, 191 were heard during the open hearing today, according to an official release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- The list of top 10 most valuable football clubs is out – See here!
- Watch Video: BlackBerry DTEK50, the world's most secured Android smartphone
- Unbelievable: Thousands throng daily at Taiwan McDonald's store to see a girl – Know why
- Kusal Mendis inspires Sri Lanka to a 196-run lead over Australia on a topsy-turvy 3rd day
- Former BJP MP Navjot Singh Sidhu to join AAP on August 15?