NIA arrests Lokesh Sharma in 2006 Malegaon bomb blast case
Mumbai: National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Saturday formally arrested key accused in 2007 Samjhauta Express blast case, Lokesh Sharma, in connection with the 2006 Malegaon bomb blasts case.
Sharma, who is already under judicial custody, was produced before a special court here, which remanded him in NIA custody till January 19, police said.
"Sharma was produced before the court which remanded him in NIA custody till January 19", said special NIA Prosecutor Rohini Salian.
With Sharma`s arrest, the number of accused held in connection with the 2006 Malegaon bomb blasts has reached 4.
The multiple bomb explosions in Malegaon, a communally sensitive powerloom town in Nashik district in northern Maharashtra, about 200 kms from here, had occurred near a mosque on September 8, 2006 killing 37 people and injuring over 100.
After the blasts, the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) had arrested nine suspects. However, the MCOCA court had granted bail to all of them on November 5, 2012.
The probe into the blast was handed over to CBI which endorsed the ATS findings. The case then went to NIA, which came into existence in 2009, post the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.
In November last, NIA had told the court that the confession of Swami Aseemanand, arrested in 2007 Hyderabad Mecca Masjid bomb blast case, pointed at the involvement of a right-wing group in the Malegaon attack.
Malegaon had seen another attack in 2008 allegedly by right wing Hindu groups. Sadhvi Pragya Singh and former Lt Col Srikant Purohit had been arrested in connection with the blast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...