NIA may take over July 13 Mumbai blasts
New Delhi: The National Investigation Agency
(NIA) may take over the probe into the July 13 blasts in
Mumbai as Maharashtra Police has not been able to achieve any
major success in its three-month probe.
Official sources said that during yesterday`s meeting
with Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, State Home
Minister R R Patil and top police officers in Mumbai, Union
Home Minister P Chidambaram took stock of the progress of the
blasts probe and is believed to have suggested that NIA should
take over the case.
Chidambaram is understood to have pointed out that lack
of coordination between different wings of Maharashtra Police
has been a major hindrance to the probe hence to crack the
case it should be handed over to NIA.
The Union Home Minister is believed to have suggested to
the Chief Minister to personally look after the difficulties
being faced by the investigators and conveyed that if these
were not sorted out at the earliest, NIA should be allowed to
take charge of the probe.
"We have not taken any decision yet. When we will take a
decision, we will let you know," a senior Home Ministry
Last month, the Home Minister had said that he was in
regular touch with Maharashtra government on the probe
conducted by Maharashtra ATS and National Investigation Agency
is associated with it from the very beginning.
Asked why the probe into two major terror strikes in
recent times -- explosions in Pune`s German Bakery and July 13
in Mumbai -- were not handed over to NIA, Chidambaram had
said "as long as we are satisfied that the investigation is
proceeding on the right lines, we should allow the state
police to investigate".
At least 27 people were killed in the three blasts at
Zaveri Bazar, Opera House and Dadar Kabutarkhana on the
evening of July 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli hits 26th hundred as India inch closer to win
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption