Nigerian woman smuggling drugs arrested at Mumbai airport
Mumbai: A 40-year-old Nigerian woman was on Monday arrested from the international airport here for allegedly trying to smuggle in drugs valued at Rs 1.65 crore, a senior customs official said.
Acting on a tip-off, customs sleuths headed by Deputy Commissioner Sameer Wankhede intercepted the Nigerian national identified as Lara Okin at the Chhatrapati International airport around 5:30 AM after she passed through the green channel on arrival.
Okin smartly concealed the drugs including methamphetamine and cocaine in her luggage, the official said, adding, "The substance was hidden under beef fat upon which dry fish were kept. She thought the customs officials would not check her luggage properly due to the emanating foul smell."
Subsequently, the drugs were seized, police said.
The accused frequently visited Mumbai and was supposed to deliver the drugs to her customer in Colaba.
Okin landed in Mumbai in an Ethiopian Airlines flight from Cotonou, the largest city and economic capital of Benin in Africa, via Ethiopia, the official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets