Nigerian woman smuggling drugs arrested at Mumbai airport
Mumbai: A 40-year-old Nigerian woman was on Monday arrested from the international airport here for allegedly trying to smuggle in drugs valued at Rs 1.65 crore, a senior customs official said.
Acting on a tip-off, customs sleuths headed by Deputy Commissioner Sameer Wankhede intercepted the Nigerian national identified as Lara Okin at the Chhatrapati International airport around 5:30 AM after she passed through the green channel on arrival.
Okin smartly concealed the drugs including methamphetamine and cocaine in her luggage, the official said, adding, "The substance was hidden under beef fat upon which dry fish were kept. She thought the customs officials would not check her luggage properly due to the emanating foul smell."
Subsequently, the drugs were seized, police said.
The accused frequently visited Mumbai and was supposed to deliver the drugs to her customer in Colaba.
Okin landed in Mumbai in an Ethiopian Airlines flight from Cotonou, the largest city and economic capital of Benin in Africa, via Ethiopia, the official added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij