Nikam opposes death penalty for rapists
Thane: Amidst raging debate in the country over tough anti-rape laws, including capital punishment for the culprits, a top lawyer has said death penalty is not the ultimate solution to curb such cases and suggested longer jail term.
Even though there had been a nationwide outcry over the last month`s gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl in Delhi and subsequent vociferous demand for sending the accused to the gallows, death penalty is not the proper punishment in such cases, said Ujjwal Nikam, who has been Special Public Prosecutor in several high-profile cases, including 26/11.
Elaborating further, he said provision of death sentence may prompt the rapist to kill the victim. Hence, death penalty is not the ultimate solution in such crimes.
Increase in the jail term to 25 years or till death should serve the purpose, Nikam said.
Police should be sensitised about handling cases related to crime against women, he said.
Generally, there is no eyewitness in the cases of sexual assault. Hence, the police investigation and trial take place based on the version given by the victim. This bring limitations on legal provisions, Nikam maintained.
He suggested that evidence in rape cases should be recorded through video conferencing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days