Nimbalkar case: Order on Padamsinh Patil’s bail plea today
Mumbai: A sessions court here will on Friday pass an order on the bail application of suspended NCP leader Padamsinh Patil, arrested for his alleged involvement in the 2006 murder of Congress leader Pawanraje Nimbalkar.
This is the second time Patil has approached the Alibagh sessions court seeking bail since his arrest on June 7 this year.
Patil`s first bail application was rejected by the court observing that there was prima facie case against him.
The CBI in its 5000-page chargesheet has named Patil as the prime accused to have hatched the conspiracy to murder Nimbalkar due to political and business rivalry.
Patil`s lawyer V R Manohar today argued that Patil is entitled to be released on bail as the chargesheet has been filed and the question of the accused tampering with evidence does not arise.
"There is no evidence against Patil except for the confessional statement of a co-accused, Parasmal Jain, which is not admissible," Manohar argued.
CBI counsel, Ejaz Khan, however, opposed the bail stating that confessional statement is the strongest evidence for proving conspiracy.
"Apart from the confessional statements, the CBI has other evidence to prove Patil`s involvement in the case," Khan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'