Nimbalkar case: Padamsinh Patil released on bail
Mumbai: Suspended NCP leader and Lok Sabha
member Padamsinh Patil was on Friday granted bail by a court here
in the sensational murder of Congress leader Pawanraje
Nimbalkar in 2006 nearly four months after he was arrested.
Additional Session Judge Arvind Kale, while giving the
conditional bail to Patil, said his custody was no longer
required but asked the accused to funish a bail bond of Rs two
lakh. He was arrested on June 6 this year.
While observing that Patil`s custody was not required
anymore as the CBI has filed its chargesheet in the case, the
court, however, directed him not to leave the country without
taking its permission.
The court order came barely three weeks ahead of the
October 13 Assembly elections in which Patil`s son Rana
Jagjitsinh is a candidate from Osmanabad district.
NCP declined to give an immediate comment. Its state
spokesperson Madan Bafna said "we will comment only after the
final order of the court."
The CBI, in its 5,000-page chargesheet, has named Patil
as the prime accused who hatched the conspiracy to murder
Nimbalkar due to political and business rivalry.
CBI counsel Ejaz Khan had opposed the bail arguing that
confessional statement is the strongest evidence for proving
conspiracy. "Apart from the confessional statement, the CBI
has other evidence to prove Patil`s involvement in the case,"
Nimbalkar and his driver were shot dead on June 3, 2006
at Kalamboli in neighbouring Navi Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister