Nine members of Nepali gang held in Tanasha murder case
Mumbai: After a massive manhunt spread across
three states, nine suspected members of the Bharat Nepali gang
have been arrested in connection with the murder of Farid
Tanasha, an alleged henchman of gangster Chhota Rajan, a top
police officer said here on Friday.
Five of them -- Zafar Razi Khan (30), Mohammed Saquib
Khan (23), Ravi Prakash Singh (27), Pankaj Singh (30) and
Randhir Singh (25) -- were apprehended on Wednesday. All five
have criminal background and are either from Madhya Pradesh or
Uttar Pradesh, Mumbai Police Commissioner Sanjeev Dayal said.
Mohammed Shaikh (27), Dattatray Bhosale (54), Ravindra
Varerkar (44) and Vishawanath Shetty (47) -- all from Mumbai
-- were nabbed here yesterday. Bhosale is a builder in
neighbouring Thane district and allegedly provided financial
help in the crime, he said.
Three pistols, one revolver, two magazines, 29 live
cartridges, a Bajaj motorcycle, 11 mobile phones and 15 SIM
cards were recovered from them, Dayal said.
On June 2, Tanasha was shot dead by two sharp shooters
when he was sitting inside his house in suburban Chembur.
The murder of Tanasha was the handiwork of Nepali, who
after learning about a conversation between the victim and
another man believed that there was a risk to his life and
that his position in the underworld could become shaky, Dayal
"Nepali wants to make his position strong. Following the
conversation, he plotted the murder of Tanasha along with
Zafar, who hails from MP," the Commissioner added.
"Nepali and his aide Vijay Shetty had paid Rs 9 lakh to
the (nine) suspects for execution of the job," Dayal said.
Nepali was also allegedly involved in the killing of
Shahid Azmi -- the counsel to Faheem Ansari -- who was
acquitted in the 26/11 terror attacks case.
Tanasha was a top informer of Intelligence Bureau and
Mumbai Crime Branch and was present at a Christmas party
thrown by Rajan`s close aide D K Rao and allegedly attended by
some senior city police officers December last year, according
to police sources.
Dayal said Zafar, who took contract to kill Tanasha, was
regularly in contact with Nepali and Shetty. Zafar was also
involved in 2006 Kala Ghoda shootout, he said.
Saquib allegedly shot at a former Shiv Sena corporator
Ajay Bhosle in 2009 in which he sustained injuries, the
Bhosale, Varekar and Vishwanath provided financial
assistance while Mohammed Shaikh, who knew Tanasha very well,
had conducted recce and passed on the information to Zafar,
the city police chief said.
"On June 2 night, Randhir and Mohammed Saquib had fired
nine bullets at Tanasha killing him on the spot. Raviprakash
and Pankaj were waiting outside on their bikes. Soon after the
firing, the shooters came out and escaped on the bikes," the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters