Nitesh Rane case: Court rejects CBI`s second closure report
Mumbai: In a major trouble for Nitesh Rane, son of state Industries Minister Narayan Rane, a local magistrate court on Tuesday rejected for the second time a closure report filed by the CBI in an attempt to murder case registered against him.
The court had earlier rejected the closure report in August 2013.
Nitesh had allegedly shot and injured Chintu Shaikh, a member of his NGO `Swabhiman Sanghatna` in 2010.
"The Magistrate court has rejected the closure report filed by CBI," confirmed a CBI spokesperson.
Nitesh`s lawyer Parvez Memon told PTI that the court gave two major reasons for rejecting the report.
"The court said that it cannot accept the report as it had rejected it earlier and secondly the matter is pending before the Bombay high court," Memon said.
Shaikh had filed a complaint with Powai police on September 23, 2010 alleging that Nitesh, who was upset that day for some reason, had shot at him twice at Sanghatna`s Khar office. Shaikh had alleged that a bullet grazed his cheek, causing an injury.
An FIR under section 307 (attempt to murder) and various other sections of the Indian Penal Code was registered against Nitesh by CBI after the Bombay high court transferred the probe into the case to CBI in March 2011 after observing that there were inexplicable circumstances which created doubts about the manner of probe (by local police).
The CBI filed a closure report in March 2012 before the magistrate`s court stating that there was no evidence or eyewitnesses to prove the case against Nitesh.
However, Shaikh challenged this report and in August 2013 the magistrate court rejected the closure report and asked the agency to re-investigate the case.
The CBI last month had informed the Bombay High court that it was going to file a closure report in the case.
The agency filed the report on May 20 which was rejected today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!