Nitesh Rane targets Gujaratis in Mumbai who praise Narendra Modi
Mumbai: Swabhimaan Sanghatana chief Nitesh Rane`s controversial tweet over Gujarati populace living in the metropolis on Friday landed him in trouble with the Maharashtra Legislative Council asking the state government to initiate action against him as it may create "social discord".
Raising the issue in the Upper House, Ashish Shelar (BJP) said, "It (statement) would create religious and social conflict in the metropolis. The statement is derogatory towards Modi and Gujarati-speaking people."
"Veg skies, Veg hospitals, Veg housing societies..Soon Veg Mumbai! Either Gujjus go back to Gujarat or they turn Mumbai into Gujarat...Red alert," Nitesh, the son of senior Congress leader Narayan Rane, tweeted on Wednesday.
Later, defending himself, Nitesh told reporters here, "They live and earn their livelihood in this city, but praise Modi and Gujarat`s development model. Such people should leave Mumbai and move to Gujarat."
"When people from various caste and creed are living with harmony, Nitesh`s statement is polluting the social atmosphere," Shellar said.
"The state government should take this issue seriously and action should be taken against him. The government should also make its stand clear," the BJP legislator demanded.
Responding to this, chairman Shivajirao Deshmukh asked senior NCP minister Ganesh Naik to convey the matter to the government and initiate action accordingly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah