Nitesh Rane targets Gujaratis in Mumbai who praise Narendra Modi
Mumbai: Swabhimaan Sanghatana chief Nitesh Rane`s controversial tweet over Gujarati populace living in the metropolis on Friday landed him in trouble with the Maharashtra Legislative Council asking the state government to initiate action against him as it may create "social discord".
Raising the issue in the Upper House, Ashish Shelar (BJP) said, "It (statement) would create religious and social conflict in the metropolis. The statement is derogatory towards Modi and Gujarati-speaking people."
"Veg skies, Veg hospitals, Veg housing societies..Soon Veg Mumbai! Either Gujjus go back to Gujarat or they turn Mumbai into Gujarat...Red alert," Nitesh, the son of senior Congress leader Narayan Rane, tweeted on Wednesday.
Later, defending himself, Nitesh told reporters here, "They live and earn their livelihood in this city, but praise Modi and Gujarat`s development model. Such people should leave Mumbai and move to Gujarat."
"When people from various caste and creed are living with harmony, Nitesh`s statement is polluting the social atmosphere," Shellar said.
"The state government should take this issue seriously and action should be taken against him. The government should also make its stand clear," the BJP legislator demanded.
Responding to this, chairman Shivajirao Deshmukh asked senior NCP minister Ganesh Naik to convey the matter to the government and initiate action accordingly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi