Nitesh Rane`s statement on Gujaratis would be examined: Maharashtra govt
Nagpur: Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil on Saturday said the government will examine the controversial statement by youth leader Nitesh Rane regarding Gujaratis living in Mumbai, and take action if he was found guilty.
Nitesh, meanwhile, contended today that his tweet did not target every Gujarati living in Mumbai.
Patil, who was here to pay homage to Babasaheb Kedar, a co-operative movement leader who passed away yesterday, said every citizen of the country has the right to live anywhere in the country, irrespective his origins and language.
The state will initiate appropriate action if Nitesh was found guilty, Patil said.
Nitesh, son of state Industries Minister and Congress leader Narayan Rane, recently said on twitter that Mumbai-based Gujaratis who admire the performance of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi were free to go back to their native state.
He today clarified in Mumbai that he did not target every Gujarati. "I only said those who feel Narendra Modi is doing a good job can move there (Gujarat)," he told reporters.
"My remarks were not aimed against all Gujaratis but only about those who feel there is more development in Gujarat."
"I have taken a political stance....I have stated clearly that people living in Mumbai who feel that Gujarat is developing better than us (Maharashtra) or those who feel that Modi is developing Gujarat better than us, why don`t they go there," Nitesh said.
"I didn`t say that all Gujaratis are like that. I didn`t say we will drive (Gujaratis) out (of Mumbai)."
On his tweet about Gujarati-dominated housing societies favouring only vegetarians, Nitesh said, "I said there are many housing societies in Mumbai which don`t allow non-vegetarians (to become members)."
"Veg skies, Veg hospitals, Veg housing societies. Soon Veg Mumbai! Either Gujjus go back to Gujarat or they turn Mumbai into Gujarat...Red alert," Nitesh had tweeted earlier.
Asked if he had made these remarks as a Congress leader, Nitesh said, "I said this as a son of the soil of Maharashtra."
When pointed out that he happens to be the son of a senior Congress minister, the 31-year-old Nitesh said, "What has that got to do with it?"
"There are a lot of Gujaratis staying here who have pride in Mumbai and Maharashtra," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday