Nitin Gadkari questioned by I-T officials
Nagpur: Former BJP President Nitin Gadkari was on Thursday questioned for over four hours by Income Tax authorities in connection with the probe into alleged dubious investments in Purti group of companies.
Gadkari, who was earlier slated to appear tomorrow, was quizzed by Geetha Ravichandran, Director of I-T (Investigations) at the I-T office in central Nagpur`s Sadar area, sources said.
The BJP leader`s representatives had earlier submitted to the I-T department a 25-page document in reply to questions regarding his personal transactions and investments related to the Purti group of companies and few others.
Gadkari has denied allegations of any wrongdoing and said that he has resigned from the Purti group sometime back.
The I-T department had earlier issued summons for appearance to Gadkari in the second half of this month as the taxman was probing alleged tax evasion case against him and his group of companies.
The department has been probing various firms that invested in Gadkari`s company Purti Power and Sugar Limited (PPSL). The department, according to sources, has allegedly found the details of almost 30 companies that have been "in transactions" with PPSL.
On January 22, I-T officials had conducted on-field inquiries at 11 premises in Mumbai belonging to alleged shell companies related to Purti group and found no trace of these entities at their given addresses.
Manoj Wadekar, a personal assistant of Gadkari, said that the BJP leader appeared before the I-T authorities today as he is supposed to attend the party`s core committee meeting tomorrow in Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read