Nitish to attend ‘Bihar Divas’ in Mumbai
Mumbai: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar is in Mumbai to attend centenary celebrations of his state on Sunday.
Kumar arrived in Mumbai on Saturday after MNS chief Raj Thackeray withdrew his threat to disrupt the event.
Kumar will be the chief guest at the `Bihar Shatabdi Samaroh Utsav` being organised at `Somaiya Ground` in a city suburb this evening.
The planned event had got embroiled in a controversy after MNS took exception to Kumar’s remark that nobody could prevent him from visiting Mumbai and that he did not require a visa to visit the city.
The Bihar chief minister had a telephonic talks with Thackeray on Friday during which he clarified that the event was purely "socio-cultural" and that it did not have any political agenda.
"Nitish Kumar told me that he does not want to do politics over the celebration of 100 years of Bihar`s creation and that the programme has no political agenda. After this I have no objection to the event being held in Mumbai," Thackeray told reporters after the conversation, ending apprehensions about peaceful holding of the event.
"Let us see how he (Nitish) celebrates Bihar Din in Mumbai," the MNS chief had said addressing a party rally at Malegaon on Thursday while referring to Kumar`s reported statement about he not needing a visa to visit Mumbai.
"Adequate security has been put in place for the visiting Bihar chief minister. Police force will be deployed at the programme venue in full strength," an official involved in the exercise said.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had also chaired a meeting of top Home and police department officials to take stock of the security arrangements for the programme.
Several organisations of Buddhists, Jains and Sikhs whose saints like the Buddha, Mahavir and Guru Gobind Singh had association with Bihar, would honour Kumar at the centenary celebration.
Kumar will also honour public servants, artists and professionals from Bihar who have distinguished themselves in Maharashtra.
(With PTI inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?