No arrests yet in Bhandara rape-murder case
Nagpur: Even eleven days after three minor sisters were allegedly raped and murdered in East Maharashtra district of Bhandara, culprits remain at large as police are struggling to achieve a breakthrough.
Meanwhile, outrage over the ghastly crime is growing with every passing days with more and more people, including the youths and school children, have taken to streets demanding the immediate arrests of the culprits.
Several school children yesterday held a silent march sporting black ribbons to condemn the incident that occurred in Murwadi village in Lakhani taluka of Bhandara district, nearly 70 kms from here.
Women and Child Welfare Minister Varsha Gaikwad also visited the bereaved family at Murwadi village and offered her condolences and also held discussions with senior police officials.
Gaikwad also visited the 14-year-old girl, who was allegedly sexually assaulted by her teacher in a Zilla Parishad school few days back at Palandur village, at Bhandara civil hospital.
According to police, three sisters, aged 6, 9 and 11 years, respectively, and missing since February 14, were allegedly raped and murdered by unidentified persons and their bodies found dumped in a farm well on February 16.
After the matter was reported by the media, the authorities suspended Lakhani tehsil Police Inspector Prakssh Munde for alleged dereliction of duty.
Lakhani tehsil police have initially registered a case of accidental death into the incident. However, police later registered an offence of rape and murder under relevant sections of Indian Penal Code against unidentified persons and stepped up investigations by setting up a number of teams to crack the case.
Postmortem conducted on the bodies in Bhandara on February 17 confirmed the sexual abuse but apparently not the cause of the death of the sisters, police said.
With PTI inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed