No-bath protest in Hazare`s village
Ralegan Siddhi: Residents of Ralegan Siddhi, the village of anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare, took to a unique form of protest on Thursday as they took to streets with buckets, refusing to take bath for the day.
"Not only the residents of Ralegan Siddhi, but all the residents of the Parner taluka (sub-district) refused to take bath today," Shiv Sena legislator Vijay Avti told a news agency.
"Annaji was not given any bathing facility in Tihar Jail. So, this is our way to protest against the government`s ridiculous behaviour with the Gandhian," added Avti, who is observing a daylong fast in support of Hazare.
Around 50,000 residents of the sub-district came out of their houses with plastic, steel and aluminium buckets and shouted slogans in favour of Hazare.
Meanwhile, the famous dabbawallas of Mumbai also called to strike work Friday.
"We are breaking our 120-year-old tradition by not providing tiffins tomorrow (Friday). This is the least we can do to support Annaji who has been fasting for over 50 hours in inhuman conditions," Nutan Dabbalwala Trust secretary Kiran Gavande said.
Over 5,000 dabbawals will take out a rally from Churchgate station to Azad Maidan in south Mumbai Friday to call for a stronger Lokpal Bill.
Silent protests, candlelight vigils, human chains, peace walks, car and bike rallies and torch rallies have been organised for the third day in a row after Hazare initiated protest in favour of a stronger Lokpal bill Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow