No cause of concern over oil spill, says Natarajan
New Delhi: Ruling out any cause of concern
over the oil spill from a sunk cargo vessel off the Mumbai
coast, Union Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan on Monday asked the pollution authority to lift samples of the slick.
"I reviewed the matter with my officials in the
ministry. At this point of time, we do not see a cause for
concern," Natarajan told reporters outside Parliament.
"We are constantly monitoring the situation. As far
as exact facts are concerned, this is a matter which is being
dealt by the Coast Guard," she said.
Oil spill from a cargo ship that sank off Mumbai four
days back has affected the city with oil reaching the beaches
and water near its shoreline.
Quoting Coast Guard reports, Natarajan said, "According
to reports, oil is leaking about at the rate of one to two
tons per hour. I have asked the local pollution control board
to take samples. So far there is no cause of concern. There
are some other reasons also for the oil presence in the
She said the Coast Guard has sprayed over 600 litres of
aerosol to disperse the spill.
Local fisherman have also been given advisory due to bad
weather to stay away from the sea till August 15, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what