No dowry custom among tribals, others should ape this: Patil
Nashik: Former President of India Pratibha Patil on Saturday lauded the tribal culture, and noted that social evils such as dowry are absent in the tribal societies.
"Among the tribal societies, no dowry is taken at the time of marriage...They have a noble culture despite lack of education...Other societies should ape them," Patil said, speaking at a function organised here for the tribal women on the occasion of Diwali.
Tirupati Devasthan Trust`s chairman and MP K Bappiraju and Maharashtra tribal development minister Madhukar Pichad were present, among others, at the function organised at the premises of Agriculture Produce Market Committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...