No dowry custom among tribals, others should ape this: Patil
Nashik: Former President of India Pratibha Patil on Saturday lauded the tribal culture, and noted that social evils such as dowry are absent in the tribal societies.
"Among the tribal societies, no dowry is taken at the time of marriage...They have a noble culture despite lack of education...Other societies should ape them," Patil said, speaking at a function organised here for the tribal women on the occasion of Diwali.
Tirupati Devasthan Trust`s chairman and MP K Bappiraju and Maharashtra tribal development minister Madhukar Pichad were present, among others, at the function organised at the premises of Agriculture Produce Market Committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'