No dowry custom among tribals, others should ape this: Patil
Nashik: Former President of India Pratibha Patil on Saturday lauded the tribal culture, and noted that social evils such as dowry are absent in the tribal societies.
"Among the tribal societies, no dowry is taken at the time of marriage...They have a noble culture despite lack of education...Other societies should ape them," Patil said, speaking at a function organised here for the tribal women on the occasion of Diwali.
Tirupati Devasthan Trust`s chairman and MP K Bappiraju and Maharashtra tribal development minister Madhukar Pichad were present, among others, at the function organised at the premises of Agriculture Produce Market Committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed