No evidence against IRB chairman in Shetty murder: Govt
Mumbai: The State government on Monday told
Bombay High Court that Pune rural police has not found any
evidence against Virendra Mhaiskar, Chairman of IRB
Infrastrcture Developers, in Satish Shetty murder case.
However, the lawyer for Sandip Shetty, Satish`s
brother, maintained that investigation was going in wrong
direction, and police did not want to arrest Mhaiskar.
Sandip had earlier alleged that his brother, a well
known Right To Information activist, had received threats from
Mhaiskar, after he exposed a scam.
High Court took suo motu notice of Shetty`s murder in
Talegaon, near Pune, in January this year. Shetty had exposed
several land-related scams through RTI.
Pune rural police have arrested six persons in the
case, but last week government decided to transfer the probe
Today, State sought court`s permission to file
chargesheet against those arrested, though CBI is expected to
carry out a fresh probe.
"As per the law, chargesheet has to be filed within 90
days of arrest, otherwise accused gets bail by default," said
advocate Nitin Deshpande, the government lawyer. CBI can
continue the probe even after that, he pointed out.
The division bench headed by Justice F I Rebello then
allowed the Pune police to file chargesheet. Next hearing of
the case is scheduled for April 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Mahatma Gandhi: Know six things you didn't know about him
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview