No extension means demolition of Adarsh: Chavan
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj
Chavan on Saturday said pulling down the Adarsh Society building was
the only option before the state government if the High Court
does not give an extension on April 13, to the demolition
notice by the Union Environment Ministry.
Chavan told the Legislative Assembly during the Question
Hour that the three-month notice given to the Society by the
Ministry of Environment and Forest (MoEF) ends on April 14.
The scam-hit Society, in posh Colaba area had challenged
the notice in the High Court, the hearing for which is
scheduled on April 13.
"If the Court does not give an extension to the notice,
the state government will go ahead with it (demolition)," the
Chief Minister said.
Chavan rejected the demand for suspension of bureaucrats
whose names have figured in the housing scam.
"Action cannot be taken against them until their guilt is
proved. Till investigations are completed, it is not correct
to cast aspersions on anybody," Chavan said and assured that
the serving officers cannot interfere in the probe process.
He said 21 bureaucrats including 14 IAS officers have
been found prima facie guilty. Some of them like Uttam
Khobragade have sought voluntary retirement, but the
government has rejected the request.
He also informed that some officers on central government
deputation have applied for coming back to the state.
Chavan said the two-member inquiry Commission has been
granted extension till July 7 and all assistance would be
provided to it for speedy completion of the probe.
The Commission has been provided office space and the
required staff and it will commence its hearing soon.
He said the 2002-03 notings of files related to the
Adarsh case are missing and some letters are not available in
the files. CBI is investigating the case.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata