No flying zone over Shivaji Park to prevent terror
Mumbai: Shivaji Park ground in central Mumbai where Republic Day celebrations will be held on Saturday, have been declared a `No Flying Zone` due to intelligence inputs which suggested that terrorists might attempt air strikes, the police said.
"There are no specific intelligence inputs about an air attack at Shivaji Park ground. As a precautionary measure, we requested the the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) to disallow flying over the sprawling ground," Joint Police Commissioner (Law & Order) Sadanand Date said.
The DGCA has subsequently declared it as a `No Flying Zone` for six hours tomorrow, beginning from 6 am, he added.
"Since our department had discussions that terrorists may carry out air strikes, we took this step as a precautionary measure," Date added.
The area has not only been declared a `No Flying Zone`, but paragliding or use of remote-controlled microlight aircraft would also not be allowed, keeping in mind the possibility of terrorists using such methods to attack.
Though there have not been any such inputs this time, Mumbai police had earlier received specific intelligence inputs that terrorists might launch air strikes in the metropolis.
Extensive security arrangements have been made in and around the ground, as the Maharashtra governor, chief minister, other ministers, VVIPs and children are expected to attend the parade by the armed forces.
A reconnaissance of nearby high-rises has also been conducted, the police said, adding that snipers have been positioned on buildings around the ground, so they could have a better view of happenings around Shivaji Park.
A bomb detection and disposal squad along with the local police will be stationed near the ground.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened