No idea what Rane was promised when he joined Congress: Chavan
Pune: Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has pleaded ignorance about claims made by rebel state minister Narayan Rane regarding assurance of chief ministership by Congress when he left Shiv Sena nine years ago.
Referring to the tirade launched by Rane, Chavan said, "I have no idea of what he assumed about his political future when he left Shiv Sena to join Congress.
"He is angry over this issue (being denied chief ministership). But I have no knowledge of what understanding he had that time and I cannot be held responsible for this."
Considered a political heavyweight in Konkan region of Maharashtra, Rane has alleged that Congress had gone back on its assurance to make him Chief Minister within six months after joining the party.
Rane, who holds the Industries portfolio in Chavan`s cabinet, recently resigned from the post expressing his ire over Congress high command`s failure to keep the promise purportedly given to him.
He also attacked Chavan saying Maharashtra Congress was sure to lose forthcoming Assembly polls under his leadership.
"I have not accepted his resignation and he continues to be a member of my cabinet. I have conveyed his expectations to the party high command. Rane has met Congress leadership in Delhi which will take a decision in this regard," Chavan told a Marathi news channel.
Asked whether he felt hurt when Rane questioned his ability to lead the party in the Assembly poll, the CM said, "I felt bad because of the personal attack on me. But continued a dialogue with him in the interest of the party."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured