No idea what Rane was promised when he joined Congress: Chavan
Pune: Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has pleaded ignorance about claims made by rebel state minister Narayan Rane regarding assurance of chief ministership by Congress when he left Shiv Sena nine years ago.
Referring to the tirade launched by Rane, Chavan said, "I have no idea of what he assumed about his political future when he left Shiv Sena to join Congress.
"He is angry over this issue (being denied chief ministership). But I have no knowledge of what understanding he had that time and I cannot be held responsible for this."
Considered a political heavyweight in Konkan region of Maharashtra, Rane has alleged that Congress had gone back on its assurance to make him Chief Minister within six months after joining the party.
Rane, who holds the Industries portfolio in Chavan`s cabinet, recently resigned from the post expressing his ire over Congress high command`s failure to keep the promise purportedly given to him.
He also attacked Chavan saying Maharashtra Congress was sure to lose forthcoming Assembly polls under his leadership.
"I have not accepted his resignation and he continues to be a member of my cabinet. I have conveyed his expectations to the party high command. Rane has met Congress leadership in Delhi which will take a decision in this regard," Chavan told a Marathi news channel.
Asked whether he felt hurt when Rane questioned his ability to lead the party in the Assembly poll, the CM said, "I felt bad because of the personal attack on me. But continued a dialogue with him in the interest of the party."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE