No load-shedding this summer in Maharashtra: Chavan
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government on Monday said that even though two big power plants with an installed capacity of over 3,000 MW are shut in the state, people will not be subject to load shedding.
"This (shutting of power plants) is definitely a matter of concern, but there will not be any load shedding," Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan told reporters on the sidelines of the "Progressive Maharashtra summit" organised by FICCI here.
He acknowledged that the Dabhol power plant on the Konkan coast (with an installed capacity of 1,967 MW) and the Parali thermal station in drought-affected Marathwada (1,130 MW) are completely shut due to want of gas and water, respectively.
"The coal from Parali will be transfered to Koradi or some other plant to reduce the cut in generation," he said without explaining any alternative for Dabhol, which is reportedly facing a shortfall in gas supply from both Reliance Industries as well as ONGC.
Chavan said the feeder separation, under which people are paying regularly for their usage, will continue.
"I don`t think there will be a problem (even) in peak summer but only to people who pay," he added.
He sounded confident of getting power from other states, but declined to specify a number of the ongoing or expected deficit in the state.
Maharashtra, which otherwise prides itself to be one of the most progressed state when it comes to industrial development, has been plagued with electricity shortage for over eight years now, which have seen the deficit touch up to 5,500 MW during summer months.
Experts blame the slowdown in generation capacity addition, coupled with the huge transmission and distribution losses faced by the state power utilities, for the problem.
At its peak, rural areas faced a compulsory electricity cut of up to 13 hours a day while the urban areas are also not immune to it, with some pockets having no supply for six hours daily.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt