‘No need to urinate now, Mr Ajit Pawar’
Mumbai: The plea of a farmer from Sholapur, Prabhakar Deshmukh, was mocked by Deputy Chief Minister of Maharashtra Ajit Pawar, but the Bombay High Court agreed to release water into Ujani Dam.
Interviewed by a television channel, Prabhakar sent a message to Ajit Pawar saying, "Ajit Pawar now there is no need to urinate. God has spoken through the High Court. He has blessed us. Now, Ujani dam will have water.”
Earlier, while hearing a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) on Tuesday, the court ordered the Maharashtra government to release water into the dam within 24 hours. The dam supplies water to Sholapur, one of the worst drought-hit districts in Maharashtra.
Last week at a rally, Ajit Pawar dismissed the farmer`s two-month-long protest and sarcastically mocked asking, "If leaders should urinate to supply water to the dam.”
Dissatisfied with Pawar`s apology, Prabhakar Deshmukh took his protest to the Chief Minister`s house yesterday. He is however, ecstatic on the Bombay High Court`s order.
The High Court`s order came in response to a PIL filed independently by a Sholapur-based activist, Shankarrao Sathe. The PIL says that the Ujani dam gets water from the Bhima River, which starts from Karjat in the Western Ghats. Between the source of the river and the dam, there are 20-22 smaller dams, most of them in Pune.
However, the PIL adds, in violation of Maharashtra`s water regulatory laws - which state that water should be equally distributed - the smaller dams were not releasing water downstream to the Ujani Dam. In the meanwhile, the court has also asked the government to submit a report on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month