No pressure on me from Cong leadership: Chavan
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan today said he was not under any pressure from his party high command during the stand-off with ally NCP and reported dissidence within his own ranks.
"I don`t know what pressure are you talking about. I was under no pressure from my party leadership," Chavan told reporters here, to a query on whether he was asked to go slow on cases of corruption involving politicians.
"There are some cases being reported in the media and some are sub-judice. There is little a government can do in this. As regards the proposed white paper on irrigation, the department is held by the NCP since 1999. My only intention is to bring about facts of development of irrigation potential so that projects can be prioritised," he said.
He said a white paper was a communication between the government and the people. "There is no question of my going after anybody," he asserted.
On whether he will lead the coalition in the 2014 Assembly elections, Chavan said, "This is too early to say. You will know when time comes."
When asked about the letter against his style of functioning by Congress legislators being given to AICC in-charge of the state Mohan Prakash, Chavan said state unit party chief Manikrao Thakre had shown him the letter yesterday.
"The letter lists about 13 developmental issues and demand to restructure the cabinet. I don`t consider the letter as an act of dissidence," he said adding that the legislators want time to discuss the matters raised by them and he would meet them.
He rejected criticism that legislators were unhappy with his style of functioning. "I am in touch with all the legislators," he added.
On if the crisis with NCP had been blown over, Chavan
said the crisis was created by the media.
"The co-ordination with NCP was always good. They wanted to give a formal touch to it and we have agreed. Hence, the dates will be decided next week. The main leaders of the two parties were always in touch and met informally regularly. Now, formal meetings will take place on a monthly basis," he said adding that he had met NCP leader Praful Patel last week.
Chavan declined that there were any other issues beyond co-ordination between two parties. "Nothing has been brought to my notice," he said.
On the monsoon session of the state legislature which ended yesterday, Chavan said 17 important Bills including setting up of the Housing Regulatory Bill were passed. He thanked the Opposition for ensuring smooth conduct of the proceedings.
He said the government was monitoring the crop and drinking water situation due to lack of rains. "We will seek central funds for drought relief measures," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe