`No proof that nails used in July Mumbai blasts`
New Delhi: Against earlier assertions,
investigators have found no evidence of use of nails or other metal pieces as shrapnel in the July Mumbai serial blasts which left 27 dead, top officials of investigative agencies
today informed a Parliamentary panel.
A team of senior officials from Intelligence Bureau, CBI,
the National Investigation Agency, the National Security Guard
and the Home Ministry led by Home Secretary R K Singh today briefed the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Home Affairs on the bomb blasts in Delhi, Mumbai and Agra.
Making a power point presentation before the Committee,
Singh said there was no evidence of use of ball bearing, nails
or any other metal pieces as shrapnel.
The claim is contradictory to earlier reports that
several victims were maimed or killed due to use of shrapnel.
Quoting forensic reports, he said the improvised
explosive device was a nitrate-based explosive.
On the blast outside the Delhi High Court on September 9,
Singh said three out of four emails received claiming
responsibility were found to be fake.
The officials told the Committee that the terrorists
behind the various blasts which have rocked several parts of
the country in the recent past are well-equipped and possess
great skills, but the investigators are catching up with them.
Refusing to divulge much information on the progress
being made to solve the cases, the officials are understood to
have said such a move was against the interest of ongoing
The officials claimed that some attempts to trigger
blasts in Delhi and other states have been foiled, sources
The meeting remained inconclusive.
Between 2010 and 2011, a total of 61 people were killed
in various blasts in the country.
Among the top officials who were present in the meeting
included Director, Intelligence Bureau N Sandhu, CBI chief A P
Singh, DG, NSG R K Medhekar and S C Sinha, DG NIA besides
officials from Maharashtra ATS and the UP Police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert