No question of Ajit Pawar resigning: NCP
Mumbai: NCP on Friday said that its leader and Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar`s controversial remarks on drought and load-shedding were a "closed chapter", and he would not resign.
"For us, it is a closed chapter. Ajit Pawar has already apologised and there is no question of he resigning," state NCP chief Madhukar Pichad told reporters after a party meeting, attended by party supremo and Union Minister Sharad Pawar and his daughter, MP Supriya Sule, among others.
Pichad said MNS president Raj Thackeray had made worse comments publicly in the past.
"Opposition is playing politics over Ajit Pawar`s remarks and NCP will respond to it politically," Pichad said.
Amid clamour for resignation from the opposition, Ajit had said yesterday that he would take the decision on the matter only after consulting party legislators.
"It is very unfortunate," Sule said when asked about the opposition parties` targeting of Ajit Pawar.
When asked about the deadlock in the state legislature with opposition stalling proceedings to demand Ajit`s resignation, Sule said, "It is a state issue. I have full faith in Speaker Dilip Walse-Patil who is capable of handling it."
Meanwhile, ruling coalition partner Congress said it was for the NCP to take a call. Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee chief Manikrao Thakre said earlier in the day that "it is for the NCP to decide", when asked if Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan would ask his deputy to put in papers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!