Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Saturday refused to grant relief to a group of engineering students who had challenged the new rules of University of Mumbai requiring them to clear the five subjects in which they had got ATKT (allowed to keep terms) before appearing for the seventh semester examinations.
The examinations are scheduled to start on November 19.
"Academic standards have to be maintained....If professional courses do no uphold quality, the whole society suffers," said a division bench of Justices Naresh Patil and A P Bhangale.
The petitioners -- students of private engineering colleges -- had moved the court after they were refused admission to the seventh semester.
They had claimed that around 5,000 students had been affected by the new rules. According to the University, the figure is around 1,000.
Under the new rule, a student cannot be admitted to the fourth and final years of B.E. If he or she has failed in more than five subjects in the third year or has failed to clear subjects in the first and second years.
The students contended that they would lose a year if not allowed to appear for the exams and the new credit system, which will kick in from next year will put those studying under the old system at a disadvantage.
Advocate Rui Rodrigues, the varsity's lawyer, however said the colleges had wrongly allowed them admission to the final year despite the rules.
Earlier this month, the court had allowed these students to appear for the viva and practicals, subject to the final order.