No scrapping of flat sharing formula, says Chavan
Mumbai: Turning down a demand that builders be allowed to get additional floor space index (FSI) by paying premium in redeveloping old Mhada buildings in the city, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Tuesday said they would have to share housing stock with Mhada in redeveloped buildings.
Replying to a calling-attention notice by Subhash Desai (shiv sena) and others, Chavan said a meeting of local legislators would be held after the monsoon session on the issue. However, there would be no compromise on the flat sharing formula, he said.
Some members of the ruling Congress and Nationalist Congress Party also backed the Opposition`s demand, saying scrap the flat sharing formula and allow only premium payment for getting extra FSI.
In 2010, the state government amended the re-development scheme, Chavan said. In addition to premium payment, the state also gave builders an option of sharing flats for free with Mhada for procuring more FSI, he said.
But few builders opted for the flat sharing scheme because it is not profitable to them. "We have rejected 265 premium-for-FSI proposals because we want flats from builders so that they can be given to the needy persons through lottery. We don`t want money because Mhada does not have land to build houses," he said.
Only 17 proposals for sharing of flats were cleared, he said adding 36 were being scrutinised. In this scheme, Mhada gets two shares of flats built for free while builder keeps one portion for selling them in open market or giving them to the members of redeveloped society.
The area of the rehabilitation component has a cap of 300 square feet or of the size before re-development. In any case, the flat should not be bigger than 750 sq ft.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda